2022-11-13 18:23:01 BdST
PKSF DAY 2022PKSF working to address economic disparity
Bangladesh has made significant achievements in development, and this march towards progress continues.
However, discrimination, especially regional discrimination, is also rising at the same time. PKSF is relentlessly working to address this disparity, said PKSF Managing Director Nomita Halder on Sunday (Nov 13).
She was speaking at the inaugural event of the PKSF Day 2022 celebrations at Krishibid Institution Bangladesh (KIB) in Dhaka.
Citing findings from a recent study, Dr Halder said 74% of the Annual Development Budget for the ‘Housing and Civic Service’ sector went to six districts in FY 2021-2022, while the remaining 58 districts got only 26%. Jhenaidah, Satkhira, Kurigram, Thakurgaon, Dinajpur and Barguna each got just 0.20% of the budget, which is among the lowest, she said, underscoring the need for addressing this disparity.
With a slogan ‘Towards Development with Equity,’ Palli Karma-Sahayak Foundation (PKSF) observed the PKSF Day 2022 through an elaborate program at the KIB Auditorium in Dhaka, said a press release.
Gowher Rizvi, International Affairs Adviser to the Prime Minister, joined the event as chief guest via a video message. Sharifa Khan, Secretary of Economic Relations Division (ERD) at the Ministry of Finance, wasthe special guest. The event was presided over by PKSF Chairman Dr Qazi Kholiquzzaman Ahmad.
QK Ahmad said the main goal of PKSF is to establish human dignity for all. At the heart of this approach is a nature of development that is inclusive, participatory and equitable.
“Apart from economic growth, we are working to develop human capacity as well,” the economist said.
In the opening speech, Nomita Halder, also a former secretary, said PKSF was established by the Government of Bangladesh three decades ago to alleviate poverty through employment generation. Today, it is a family of 1.76 crore members, more than 90% of whom are women.
Alongside financial support, PKSF is implementing various programs for enterprise development, risk mitigation, housing for the poor, health, education, potable water, agriculture and climate change impacts, she added.
Chief guest Gowher Rizvi said Bangladesh is making progress in every socio-economic indicator, thanks to the increase in per capita income and a steady economic growth. Everyone should work shoulder to shoulder to keep up the progress towards sustainable development and transform Bangladesh into a developed and prosperous country.
He noted that as most PKSF activities are aligned with the SDGs, the Bangladesh government attaches significant priority to PKSF’s work.
Special guest Sharifa Khan said PKSF in the past decade has diversified its activities immensely.
“There is not a single aspect of human life – from birth till death – that PKSF does not intervene,” she noted.
PKSF came into being as a specialized institution for poverty alleviation through the Presidential approval on 13 November 1989. PKSF officially started its journey in 1990. This is the first time PKSF is celebrating PKSF Day.
Speaking on the occasion, former chairmen M Syeduzzaman and Dr Muhammed Farashuddin and former managing directors of PKSFBadiur Rahman, Md Abdul Karim and Mohammad Moinuddin Abdullahshared their experience and memories with PKSF. They were honored with crests for their contribution to PKSF.
Members of PKSF’s current Board and Executive Directors of its Partner Organizations from across the country were also present at the event.
Unauthorized use or reproduction of The Finance Today content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited.