2018-05-27 08:30:19 BdST
Water retention: 7 ways to combat it
Water retention refers to the excess deposition of fluids in the body. It can be due to many reasons, however not always is water retention a serious issue. But, if you feel sudden swelling in your body, then seek medical help.
Water retention usually occurs within tissues causing it to swell. If you see your hands, feet, ankles or legs swelling or bulging, water retention may be the reason.
Women experience water retention during menstruation and pregnancy.
In general, inactive people such as those who are bedridden or those who lead an extremely sedentary lifestyle suffer from water retention.
Here are some simple ways with which you can counter water retention:
1. Diminished salt intake or rather completely omitting salt from your diet would help a great deal as salt retains water in the body.
2. No processed foods: Processed foods contain excess salts, sugars and taste enhancers which can lead to water retention or in some cases increase existing water retention in the body. Anything canned, sealed or even bottled can worsen your condition.
3. Magnesium has been known to reduce water retention in the body. Including supplements and natural food sources, such as greens and nuts would definitely help.
4. Foods like potatoes, walnuts, and bananas contain B6, which is another agent responsible for reducing water retention. 5. Vitamin C supplements and foods like oranges, carrots and peppers have a diuretic effect which can consequently reduce water retention.
5. Vitamin C supplements and foods like oranges, carrots and peppers have a diuretic effect which can consequently reduce water retention.
6. Eliminating refined sugar and carbohydrates in the form of breads will aid decline of water retention. This is because insulin levels can severely get imbalanced and cause the water retention to double. 7. Potassium is a powerful mineral which can decrease the sodium level in your body. You can consume tomatoes and bananas for the same.
7. Potassium is a powerful mineral which can decrease the sodium level in your body. You can consume tomatoes and bananas for the same.
8. Home remedies like parsley water will help combat water retention as well.
Unauthorized use or reproduction of The Finance Today content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited.